For many years now, Jack has been at the forefront of the transition in the TV news industry towards a self-shooting, mobile journalism model. For the past two years, he has also been training other correspondents and newsrooms around the world in best practices, cutting edge technology and full adoption of a MoJo style of reporting.
Jack's reporting relies on an iPhone kit with lightweight lighting and microphone equipment with which I produce top quality TV and corporate communications videos. He can teach your teams to do the same.
Jack can provide a fully rounded and tailored service to train your reporters or communications officers in how to use any type of mobile phone to produce engaging TV packages or social media videos. Please reach out to discuss options.
Training can be provided online, in person in your newsroom and in the field with reporters out on stories. The services are targeted at three skill levels but each training will always be tailored and unique to your requirements.
Basic (for those new to shooting):
- How to use a smartphone to film basic standups, live crosses and interviews.
- Advice on which technology and equipment to use to film with phones.
- Basic video editing techniques for smartphone shooting.
- Tips and tricks for making videos stand out on social media and online.
- Training on how to capture and use video elements to enhance online written reporting.
Intermediate (for those who have some experience):
- How to film raw video for TV packages using smartphones
- Tips for improving the lighting and and sound on phone-shot interviews - making them look perfect.
- Intermediate level video editing training - both on the phone and once ingested into a computer.
- Increasing the capacity for video elements in online reporting.
Advanced (for TV reporters expected to file packages using mobile journalism):
- Full training in shooting rushes, interviews and standups for TV packages, lives and as lives.
- Advanced video editing training including how to colour-correct and reframe smartphone video.
- Complete competence training in field production of phone-shot video so that reporters can shoot, edit and file TV-ready packages.
Below you can find examples of Jack's work that has been produced, self-shot, edited and filed - all solo and done on phones.
Croatia Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ_dOmlL5JY&feature=emb_title
Albanian Prime Minister interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zGhk0QRW-k&feature=emb_title
Eric Napper - Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), Head of News Operations and Projects
"Jack has been an invaluable source of experience and knowledge in the professional discipline and art of mobile journalism. As a trainer, his real life examples and hands-on advice have inspired my team to take up the smartphone as a tool of journalism for live breaking news and feature reporting. I cannot overstate the positive impact Jack has had on building the capacity, versatility and speed of our reporting teams."
Rebecca Pearce, Course Leader, BA (Hons) Journalism, London College of Communication.
"Jack gave my undergraduate students an informative, practical and fun introduction to mobile journalism. We had just gone into lockdown and the students were very worried about how they could produce video work under such challenging conditions. After an hour's instruction with Jack, they felt more confident and were inspired to make some really creative films. He demonstrated kit, showed examples of his work and told engaging anecdotes to help bring the subject alive - all on a video call from Brussels. In ordinary circumstances it would have been very hard to arrange a guest lecture slot for Jack in college in London, so his session was one of the best things to come out of lockdown for us!"